Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sources

I've been asked where to get good information regarding Fukushima Daiichi nuclear crisis.  While I understand the principles of fission and some of the different reactor types, I'm not an expert in nuclear reactors (or nucular reactors!).  Here are the sources of information I've been using, roughly in the order that I check them:

1. NYTimes status updates on the six reactors:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/03/16/world/asia/reactors-status.html
as well as NYTimes coverage in general.

2. Wikipedia's article on the disaster, in particular the daily update part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_nuclear_accidents#Third_week

3. The Union of Concerned Scientists, of which I am a member, has a lot of good background information as well as a daily press conference with journalists which they make available here:

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/nuclear_power_risk/safety/japan-nuclear-crisis-briefings.html

4. Brad Friedman's Blog   (and Twitter Page).  Friedman appears to be a progressive journalist of national prominence, focusing on election issues.  But he seems to have  access to some good sources in Japan.

5. Just discovered this one:  MIT's Nuclear Science & Engineering Dept.  has quite a bit of useful information.  See, for example their take on  worst case scenarios.

6. Dr. Michio Kaku's blog  Dr. Kaku is a theoretical physicist who has long been skeptical of fission power.  Some of my physicist colleagues criticize his somewhat theatrical presentation.   On the other hand I appreciate his directness.   (But then I'm biased: Kaku interviewed me for his book "Parallel Worlds".)  Also Kaku is currently on a tour promoting a new book so his postings on the crisis are interspersed with updates relating to the book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home